Saturday, July 02, 2005

Live8 and the G8 summit

I'm listening to the Live8 concert from London as I write this.
It may be the spirit of the occasion that has taken me, but I think that if the G8 summit does not get a result next week - and by that I mean a substantial and immediate improvement on the commitments made to date regarding Africa - the nature of the relationship between the people of the G8 countries and their governments will be radically altered.
Trust of the politicians is already at a pretty low ebb. Failure of the G8 to deliver a result on poverty could fatally damage what trust we have, leading potentially to an effective failure of the current democratic system.
Turnouts at elections will fall away further, leading to a collapse in the mandate (already pretty flimsy) that our politicians have to do their thing.

No comments: