Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Who said Macbooks weren't robust?

Despite my efforts at looking after my Macbook its once pristine white casing has steadily become increasingly marked and scratched. I'd also read reports that it was not as a robust as many Windows laptops. Well, yesterday afternoon - due to my own failure to zip up my rucksack - my Macbook fell from it to the hard wooden floor (a drop of over 1m) and then proceeded to slide out of its little protective bag and fall, banging and crashing, down a steep and uncarpeted wooden staircase, to finally come to rest on a quarry tiled floor at the bottom of the stairs.

I thought that this would very probably spell the end for my machine, but as I picked it up I noted that the little LED on the front edge was doing its thing, which offered some hope. I rushed off, late to get home, and did not look at the machine until several hours later. On opening the lid I was amazed and relieved to the Macbook come to life. The optical drive made some funny noises (and still does every time the machine wakes) but other than this it appears to be unharmed.

And cosmetically I'm also impressed. No cracks, splits or major damage other than a "bruise" mark indicating a major point of impact on the front right corner. Not bad. Congratulations Apple for for a machine which is not only a joy to use, but which is capable of withstanding some pretty rough handling.

No comments: